Prepare for Melting Snow
Water is always eager to make its way into our living spaces. One crack is all that is needed to cause a serious problem in any indoor environment. As temperatures increase after a snowy winter, homeowners should be aware of vulnerable areas such as rooftops, windows, and other possible ports of entry. Home inspectors Nick Gromicko and Ethan Ward of the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors say basements are particularly susceptible.
Mold Prevention Tips
Mold prevention is key if your home is to be a safe haven. Here are some suggestions, based in part on the book The Homeowner’s Guide to Mold by Michael Pugliese.
- Ventilate your dryer directly outside.
- Check monthly for water leaks behind washing machine.
- Be sure there is adequate space behind the washing machine so hoses do not kink.
- Consider installing a water alarm next to the water heater to alert you to any leaks.
- Check water heater monthly.
- Drain the water heater according to appliance directions.