I survived because of two people on the Internet, plus the support of friends and family.
The first Internet person nailed my problem as mold and persisted in convincing me. I thought I had Lyme disease and had never heard of mold illness.
The second person recognized that I was a severe reactor and started strongly encouraging me to get out of exposure. After a series of housing disasters, this same person suggested I buy a Camplite travel trailer. It was moving into that trailer, which was and is mold-free, that saved my life.
I took cholestyramine for two years, but medical treatment has not made much difference. It is Extreme Avoidance (living totally free of mold exposure and staying out of water-damaged buildings) that has allowed me to return to functionality. The best situation was spending six months at 8,000 feet, living in the Camplite, in pristine air.