A simple gift of bath salts can be expanded to include an appealing array of luxurious, natural products. Here are a few ideas to help lend inspiration to your gift-giving plans!
- 2 c. baking soda
- 1 c. sea salt. Dead Sea salt is optimal, available from vendors such as SoapGoods.
- 1 c. Epsom salts
- 1/4 tsp. vitamin C powder. Helps neutralize chlorine and makes a nice addition to the salts. Options include Perque Potent C Guard from Natural Healthy Concepts (also available from Amazon).
- 5-10 drops essential oil of choice
Dendritic salt, a very fine-grain salt that helps hold the fragrance of the essential oil, may be used to replace either of the other salts—just keep the ratio of salts to baking soda at 1 part salts to 1 part baking soda.
Combine all ingredients and stir to blend. Pour into mason jar or decorative container. (For decorative bottles and jars, try SKS Bottle and Packaging.)
You may also want to include a small bottle of glycerin for your recipient, with directions to add 10-12 drops to the bath to avoid dry skin. To enhance the glycerin, add several drops of lavender or other essential oil to the bottle. Glycerin can be purchased at health food stores or online. Options include Heritage Products Vegetable Glycerin from Vitacost.
Floral Bath Bag:
- 1 9x9 square of muslin or cheesecloth
- 8 tbsp. dried floral blossoms (chamomile, lavender, and rose petals all work well)
- 1 tbsp. ground oatmeal or sunflower seed meal
- 10 drops essential oil of choice (options include lavender, chamomile, and rose)
Place dry ingredients in the center of cloth. Add essential oils and mix. Gather material into a loose pouch and tie with string or yarn. (Make the string long enough to hang from the water tap in the tub so that running water will flow through the bag.)
Include directions to untie the bag and allow to float in the water during the bath. Can be used to rub on the body as well.
- 2 tbsp. castor oil, jojoba oil, or avocado oil
- 5 drops essential oil of choice
Combine ingredients in a decorative bottle. Include directions to add 2-4 drops per bath.
- Wooden scoops make a great addition to the package. These are reasonably priced and available from retailers such as Wayfair and Amazon.
- Include a skin brush for dry brushing before the bath. Include directions for dry brushing as an added bonus.
Combine all of the above and package in a reusable shopping bag with tissue paper or recyclable filler. The Original Soap Dish has some innovative ideas for packaging!
These recipes are designed to spark your creativity. Have fun experimenting. Who knows, you may end up keeping a jar or two for yourself!