Moms Aware Logo

Connect With Us

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Watch momsAWARE on YouTube

Share Us With Others

momsAWARE Badge

One Family's Mold Journey

Tiffany's story illustrates the health hazards of water intrusion, as well as the genetic factors involved. (For more information, see our article on Genetic Susceptibility.) It is our hope that by sharing her story, others will make a connection between environment and health.

We finally moved out of our house in November 2009. We lived there 10 years, although our most serious health trials began three years prior. It started with unexplained lethargy and listlessness, gradually increasing in severity to tremors, loss of ability in my limbs, then finally to seizures. I would be in the middle of homeschooling our three children (at that time 8, 6, and 4) and find myself on the floor, barely able to move. I would have to lie there until the "episode" was over or, if I was able, I would crawl into bed.

My eight-year-old daughter would call my husband to have him rush home. He would pick me up off the floor and carry me in to bed.

We did not tell anyone, because we couldn't explain it. Doctors told me that it was mental or sleep deprivation. They would suggest I take psychiatric drugs and sleep medications. I was also told that it was stress from having three children. (Really, how many mothers get seizures from having children? That wasn't an adequate explanation in my mind.) I was also diagnosed with asthma for the first time in my life and developed eye problems, later requiring surgery. I refused to take their prescriptions, telling one doctor that I would not take anything until he found the root cause of what was happening. After all kinds of testing, he could not.

As it became more frequent and uncontrollable, I could hide it no longer. I was acting as secretary for our women's group in church when I suddenly lost control of my arms. I could no longer take notes! Moreover, I drove a stick-shift to church, so someone had to drive me home. How embarrassing! But that was the beginning of my search for answers. One of the ladies at the meeting suggested that it might be mold. I never considered that before. I did not think mold could ever be a serious threat to anyone's health.

Another woman at church told me that she heard of the Fabry family's mold journey on Chris Fabry Live. From there I began to research mold and mold-related illnesses. In college I worked as a research assistant for a company that would write medical articles, so I knew how to research and read medical information. When I tried to share the information with doctors, they refused to look at it, assuming I was crazy.

I was astonished when I found out how dangerous mold can be! And our home was full of it! We were ignorant when we bought our house. It was our first, and our realtor advised us not to get an inspection. The house was built in 1920. The roof was old, leaking bucketfuls when it rained; the siding was asbestos; the paint had lead; and our basement flooded whenever it rained. There would be inches of standing water in the basement for weeks. Not only that, we later discovered that our house was lacking a foundation on one side. Only well-packed dirt, and a steel beam was holding it up. So whenever it rained, there was no foundation wall to keep it from entering. I could see the black moldy spots growing on the walls, but aren't all basements moldy? Or so I thought.

We had a storage room downstairs and would periodically have to throw some items away because of visible mold. My daughter had an Easy-Bake Oven that looked like a chia pet because it had so much fuzzy mold growing out of it. I kept some of my clothes in a closet in the basement. We have pictures of one of my suits growing mold on it, just like you would see growing on the side of a tree.

Suit Mold

Suit Mold CloseupAll this was happening, but I initially did not link it to my growing health problems.

Although I was the one most dramatically affected, I wasn't the only one. I had trouble carrying all three pregnancies to full term. My oldest daughter was considered premature and labeled "failure to thrive" after several months. All I could do was cry. I was doing all that I knew to help her to thrive. She plummeted to the 5th percentile, and was steadily declining despite all of my best efforts. She remained smaller than normal and would be teased because of it. As she grew older, she would often complain of numbness and tingling in her limbs, to the point of tears. Along with myself, both my oldest and middle child had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. Thankfully, my youngest and my husband didn't seem affected at all.

Thanks in part to Andrea Fabry's blog, I was able to make a connection between what was happening to our health and the visible mold that was spreading rapidly throughout our house. We eventually had our house tested, and the dominant mold found in abnormal amounts was Penicillium, along with others. The closest doctor we could find was four hours away, despite living near an internationally renowned medical facility. We would drive there every two weeks for months to receive treatments. I was desperate for answers and Andrea's blog greatly helped in that search, aiding us in our path to healing.

We moved out and lived in my mother's basement while we spent thousands trying to have our home ready for our return. While living with my mother, I had no episodes and felt somewhat better. All of this was to no avail. Our health problems soon returned after moving back, this time with more frequency and greater severity. I felt like we were trapped in a prison with nowhere else to go. When we moved into our house 10 years prior, we had virtually no debt. Now, without any savings, thousands of dollars in debt, and with an upside-down mortgage, we could not make our mortgage payments and pay rent elsewhere. In spite of this, we were desperate to move and left almost everything behind. I did keep pictures and a few things of sentimental value.

With only the clothes on our backs, we tried to regain what was lost and recreate a home for ourselves and our children. Leaving everything was difficult, understanding what it would do to us financially, but was worth it. I had no more episodes. Except one time, when I foolishly went back into the house for an hour trying to salvage some more things. The next day I found myself on the floor again and my daughter again calling my husband to quickly rush home. I knew then, without a doubt, that the house was the source of my ills. I never went in there again.

My health is almost completely back to normal. My weight dropped dramatically while in the home, making me underweight. Now I have energy to exercise regularly and my weight has returned to normal. My oldest daughter, who was once "failure to thrive," was told at her last well-visit that she is in the 75th percentile. I almost cried at the doctor's news. In less than three years she went from the 5th percentile to the 75th percentile and no longer does she cry because of numbness and tingling in her limbs!

When I look back, I have to say thank you, Andrea Fabry, for all the hours that you have spent on your blog, and to your family and other families for being willing to share their stories. I saw myself in your story and theirs. Please know, in our case, that God has used your tragedy to help someone else through theirs.

May God bless your family exceedingly abundantly above all that you can ask or imagine. May he continue to use your story and your ministry to help set others free.


"The ERMI mold test as well as your helpful articles and Toxic Talk Tuesday programs have helped us avoid a terrible mistake in purchasing a new home."

– Angela

"We had some water leaks in our home... we never thought we needed to clean out and remove the floor, the ceiling, or the drywall... my two small children and I have remained constantly sick for years in this home."

– Mia

"We were having a lot of health problems and had been to the doctor countless times... we had large circles of slimy greenish-black mold on the bathroom ceiling, where it had caved in a few months before."

– C.

"The entire time we lived in our (mold-infested) house the kitchen sponge would get musty smelling within 3-4 days. It was so strange. I had to buy a pack of sponges nearly every week."

– Anonymous

"I was skeptical at first that these (natural cleaning) products would work, but they work better than the stuff I buy at the store! We will soon be moving to the personal care products as well!"

– Jennifer

"I started finding myself sitting on the floor in rooms of my house and not remembering how I got there, what I was doing before, or how long I had been there."

– Brenda

" age 35 or 36 I started to become allergic to everything, and I got asthma at age 36... I went to doctor after doctor after doctor and was desperate for help, but nobody could help me."

– Mia

"I have been sick for almost 6 months now and doctors were not able to figure out why. I finally put it all together after going away for vacation for a week and suddenly my symptoms were going away."

– Anonymous

"I had been struggling with headaches, head fog, breathing difficulties (unable to get a full breath), constant scalp tingling, migraines, nausea, feeling spacey/detached, and severe itchy skin."

– Anonymous

"I'm new at this, but today I cleaned my bathroom with baking soda and vinegar. It's much better not having those strong chemical smells afterwards."

– Anonymous

"I knew it was mold, but doctors kept telling me I had anxiety. I was sitting in my office and could not remember who I was talking to, or what we were talking about."

– Brenda

"My daughter has had many blood samples taken to test for everything imaginable and her doctor just seems puzzled. Everything comes back normal."

– Anonymous

"My symptoms persisted and eventually turned into lethargy and depression. At the age of 26, I required a nap every evening after work."

– Jennifer

"We all suffered from headaches, hormonal body temperature fluctuations, brain fog, fatigue, difficulty breathing, thrush, rashes, and yeast infections... we vacated our home two weeks ago."

– Anonymous

"My daughter started having digestive problems... heart palpitations... coughing episodes... muscle/joint pain... asthma/allergies... Her doctor finally advised me to check for mold in our home."

– Anonymous

"Our family has been out of our home for 9 months due to mold... I am so scared and weak from all of this. We have lost friends; family members don't understand."

– Anonymous

"I've been living in a mold-infested home for 13 months... I was going CRAZY! Finally figured it out... Just a few days of recovering in a mold-free home and I feel AMAZING!!!"

– Lauren

"In my moldy home if I left the wet clothes in the washer they would get musty very quickly and I'd have to re-wash... Sometimes I'd run a load, go to work, and they'd be musty when I returned that evening."

– Anonymous

"Both of my sons went downhill quickly and coughed for months... They both lost their ability to read, had profound vision disturbances, and had phenomenal gastric issues."

– Lee

This site is dedicated to a true friend and mother — Barbara Dell Kessel (1929-2009)