When I was 13, my family moved into a house with a basement that flooded regularly. I developed endocrine and immune symptoms.
At age 32, I moved to a town where mold was ubiquitous. My office was in a sealed building that allowed the toxins from animal cages and molds in the basement to spread through the central HVAC. I watched my health decline despite visits to many doctors and was disabled at age 44 with the diagnosis of ME/CFS.
After over 20 years, a new doctor identified mold as one of the contributing factors, and this was confirmed by a high ERMI in my house. Clean-up made me so much worse that I became reactive to everything. So I left home to start camping, thanks to the advice of Karen Dean and Jill Neimark. I greatly improved but, unfortunately, am still camping due to persistent hypersensitivities.
Find out more about Janis at her blog, Search for the Cure: My Healing Journey.